PTFE (Polytetrafluoroethylene) is considered as one of the marvels in the industry of engineered plastic tubes. This material has witnessed a growing use across the manufacturing and the industrial sectors. PTFE tubing technique can be used to make rods, tubes and sheets. The Poly tetra-fluoro ethylene tubes or PTFE tubes or Teflon tubes, as they are popularly known as, are extensively used in industries such as:
- Chemical Processing
- Medical and many more
The Poly tetra-fluoro ethylene tubes can be manufactured in multiple colours. These coloured PTFE products are ideal for dedicated or multiple lines as they allow an easy and a quick line identification. There are multiple reasons as to why a PTFE tube is used across so many industries.
PTFE Teflon Tube: Unique Characteristics/Features
- Provides resistance to high temperature- One of the most important PTFE tubing properties is its ability to resist high temperatures. It offers the best resistance to heat amongst all the plastics. The PTFE tube can sustain a temperature of upto 260 degrees Celsius. Because of this, it is highly valued in the insulation industry. It might be used, to transfer fluids at very temperatures, or in case of automotive industry to insulate the metal parts
- Provides resistance to low temperature- PTFE tubing also possesses the ability to withstand extreme cold temperatures without breaking or hardening. It can withstand temperatures upto -260 degrees Celsius, enough to find multiple uses in the food, biotech and the pharmaceutical industries
- Dielectric Strength- Teflon tubes have the potential to resist a high electrical voltage to the tune of 50 – 120 kilo volts per mm. As a result of this, PTFE tubing is preferred in the electrical industry and is widely used in the insulation of the electrical cables.
- Lowest Co-Efficient of Friction- The co-efficient of friction for a PTFE tube is very low and is almost identical for static and dynamic coefficients. This co-efficient of friction for a PTFE tube rests at 0.1, and finds use not just in the making of tubes or rods, but also in the making of sheets, thus being quite popular in fields like medicine.
- Strong wear resistance- The PTFE tubes have a smooth and greasy surface maintaining a static friction coefficient of08 at 500 psi load. This in turn provides a natural lubricity, which helps increase the wear resistance for items such as rollers, gears, seals, and bearings in case of automation industry.
- Lightweight-PTFE tubes are extremely lightweight, thus having a significant use in the automobile industry
- Shock Absorption and Impact Resistance- PTFE tubes allow shock absorption and also provide a high impact resistance power, thus helping resist the impact of shields and glazing by absorbing the shock impact.
- Anti-bacterial- PTFE tubes are most suited for the Pharma industry due to its non-stick and anti-bacterial properties.
- Strong Chemical Resistance- A PTFE tube is resistant to all the kinds of corrosion and provides an excellent water repulsion property. The tube also possesses the quality of being highly chemically inert without being affected by chemicals even under high pressure and temperature. As a result of this, a PTFE tube is occasionally used in transferring chemical substances and as a protection to the metal surfaces.
These are some of the important characteristics of a PTFE tube. These tubes are highly cost economical and hence they are a boon to a large number of industries.
We at ‘Advanced Fluro Tubes’ manufacture excellent PTFE Colored Tubes, along with a host of other products. We provide an end to end solution,